- Ash Gourd ( Winter melon)– 1 kg (wash and dry)
- Limestone / Chuna – 1 tbsp.
- Sugar – 750 gm. (as per your taste)
- Food color (optional)
- Rose or kewra essence (optional)
- Peel the ash gourd skin and make sure the green part is not left.
- Cut in rectangular shape or you can also use cookie cutter to give other shapes of your choice.
- Pierce all around with the help of fork or toothpick.
- Take a bowl add enough water, add limestone, mix with your hand and let it dissolve properly.
- Drop all pieces of ash gourd in water, mix well and leave it for 7-8 hours.
- After 7-8 hours take out from limestone water and rinse well at least 2-3 times.
- Heat a pan add enough water on medium heat.
- Add all the ash gourd pieces and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes turn off the heat, take out all the ash gourd form the hot water and drop the pieces in chilled water.
- Take out all the ash gourd pieces and add sugar, toss it well and coat all the pieces evenly.
- Cover and leave it for 1 ½ hours.
- After 1 ½ hours sugar is dissolved.
- If you want you can add food color and rose or kewra essence 5-6 drops.
- Turn on the stove on medium heat, cook till ash gourd start looking transparent.
- Stir continuously so it doesn’t burn.
- Once sugar is almost dissolved and syrup becomes thick, turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Take out Pethas one by one and leave it to dry in fan for 10 – 11 hours.
- After Agra ka petha is dried completely, it’s ready to serve…