This is one of the famous mumbai street food, cooked in special blend of Indian spices and served with toasted soft bread(pav) in butter.
- Pavs (bun) – 6
- Onion medium size -1 (chopped)
- Tomato chopped – 1 cup
- Green chilly (you can use red chilli powder) – 1 (as per your tastes)
- Ginger, garlic – 2 tsp (grated or paste)
- Green capsicum -1 (chopped)
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Cauliflower -100 gm (cut into small pieces)
- Carrot – 1 (chopped)
- Potato – 1 boiled (cut into pieces)
- Pav bhaji masala – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Black pepper – 2 pinch
- Chopped green coriander – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil/butter – 3 tsp (2 tsp for bhaji and 1 tsp for shallow frying)
To prepare Bhaji
- Take 1 cup water in a pressure cooker, add all the vegetables (carrot, green capsicum, peas, cauliflower) in pressure cooker and cook for one whistle. Let it cool down completely.
- Add 2 tsp oil/butter on the heated pan, add cumin seeds, onion and sauté till it turns light brown.
- Add ginger, garlic paste, green chilly stir-fry for half a minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, black pepper, boiled potato, tomato, salt and pav bhaji masala and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Keep stirring continuously or till the oil separates from the masala.
- Once masala is ready add boiled vegetable mix all together, cook for 10 minutes.
- Mash all the vegetable, add fresh coriander, lemon juice, butter – 1tsp and cook for another few minutes before switching off the stove.
- Bhaji is ready.
To toast Pav
- Heat a flat nonstick pan/tava.
- Apply some butter / oil on both the inner surface of the Pav. Place the Pav on the stove and toast on low heat till it turns golden brown and crispy on both side.
- Serve hot Pav with bhaji.
Note – You can get pav bhaji masala in Indian grocery stores.